Sunday, December 2, 2007

Sanjay

This:

is Sanjay.
Sanjay drives a rikshaw and this is how we met: Yesterday afternoon I was looking for someone to take me sightseeing around Pune (pronounced "Poona"). Sanjay stood out from the crowd of eager drivers - I think it's his friendly face and demeanor. Once we agreed that he would be my driver, we almost immediately developed a fun and lively relationship. One that wasn't so much based on verbal communication, but rather subtle more profound methods including various arm and hand gestures... Anyway, off we went! Sanjay's tireless rik tore around Pune with enthusiasm and speed that can only be fueled by loud, noxious diesel gas.

First, he took me to:
The Aga Khan Palace (Gandhi was held in detention here for 2 years, his wife passed away here, as well):

Then, to The Saras Baug Park:

Rushing past the Lal Mahal (another palace where a famous Indian historical figure was held in detention for a while):

Nearby was Shaniwarwada (which is an old kick ass mansion, but really a fortress):

Lastly, we went to The Pataleshwar Caves:

After that, we called it a day, but not before we promised to meet up early tomorrow (this) morning to go to The Osho Commune:

And to check out the Laxmi Market:

Sanjay and I just bid our final farewell where he overcharged me for a second day in a row. Sanjay, thanks for the goodtimes!

-Katie

3 comments:

Sheer said...

katie this is amazing!!!

i love seeing your photos. every place looks beautiful.
xo,
sheer

Anonymous said...

mmmmuuuuahahahah! "...he overcharged me for a second day in a row..." HAHAHAHAHA. hilarious. Awesome. What is the point of rik shawing around a clueless white person if not to over charge? AHAHAHAHA. Hug a cow for me.ag

Unknown said...

My god, now I remember how amazing you are. This blog makes me laugh outloud and long to travel the world (and admittedly a little sad about my lost trip to India). As a result I miss you SO much and want to talk about all of this for hours! Keep 'em coming...