Thursday, November 29, 2007

Transportation in India

I'm in India!
A couple first impressions: it's not as hot as I expected, it is relatively easy to navigate around, and the transportation here rules.
For starters, they drive on the right.

Weird:

Next, there are rickshaws that drive around willy-nilly. They are like covered tricycles. They are driven with motorcycle handbars inside.

In other words, they are rad:

My final observation about the transportation issues in India I've discovered thus far is that people like to honk. A lot. It's like they are communicating all sorts of little things to each other, things that I don't normally see people honking about in the US. For instance, if you are turning right, HONK. Or, if someone else is merging, HONK. Or, if things are just too slow, dammit! HONK! Or, you're bored, just honk. I think it is hilarious.

It can all be summed up with this bumper sticker that I saw:

I love India.
-Katie

9 comments:

pheonix said...

driving on the right is awesome! i've been driving my parent's car around...it's especially fun to enter a round-a-bout from the left. but i don't think i've heard a single honk in new zealand. i'm sure the east coaster in you thinks the more honking the better. glad you love it there so far.

Anonymous said...

dude...ah, wasn't India like part of the English Empire, hence the driving on the "wrong" side? have you seen any of those monkies yet? have they tried to pick pocket you? what are you gonna see and do while you are there? xo ag

Dakin said...

how exciting; i can't wait to see you back in seattle, and get to hear more about your travels -- i'm totally envious! btw, i'm moving into my apartment on queen anne tomorrow....

hearts!

Lexi and Jenny said...

honk ok please. bwahahahahahahahahaha. THAT is AMAZING! also, it continues to amaze me how you can make me laugh out loud through the interweb. i didn't know that was possible.

Katie Porter said...

phx - the east coaster in me thrives in india! hooray for loud, obnoxious noises! boo for quiet passive aggression!
ag - i saw one monkey on a chain. it was cute-ish.
daks - have fun in queer anne. movin' up in the world, i see... can't wait to catch up!
dink - glad you like the blog. i'm having a god-damned ball in india. updates are forthcoming.

love you guys.
-katie

grandma said...

Too bad we never visited India. grandpa loves to honk his horn--just look at the opportunities he missed! Did you visit any famous sites?

Love,

Grandma

Jen Robinson said...

I just read this post aloud to Sky as he's making fried green tomatoes in the kitchen (yum!). He said that in China they have touch pads on the gear shifts that honk the horns and cabbies will just tap them over and over again. I'm jealous of your rickshaw riding - those look so awesome and dangerous.

Unknown said...

you are hilarous and adorable, I love the commentary...you must be having an amazing time, I can't wait to hear more from the adventures in Katie...

Unknown said...

this last post was from Sierra but I didn't know the computer was logged in as Chris...big love from Hawaii from both of us!