Tuesday, November 20, 2007

An Ending and a Beginning

Yesterday was my last day on Lotan and it was mostly spent packing and running around doing last minute things. The previous day (Sunday) was when I really said goodbye. It was a lovely day - chi gong in the morning, a final lesson with Mike, a closing circle, and then the certificate ceremony with dinner

I had an absolutely wonderful time on Lotan. I strongly recommend the Green Apprenticeship for anyone who is interested in living sustainably and has a few months to spare. I learned amazing skills and I am impatient to put them into practice upon my return to Seattle. I am thankful to the members of Kibbutz Lotan and the staff of the Center for Creative Ecology for their time and energy. The GA is a wonderful program because of them.

Farewell images:
Sunrise over the Jordanian Mountains, just East of Lotan:


I planted these sunflowers as seeds!


Award Ceremony
(I am a certified permaculture and ecovillage designer. bahahahaha!):


Goodbye GA. It was a blast!


As I struggle with the transition out of Lotan, I am fortunate that Sheer is incredibly generous and offered to put me up for three nights in her family's apartment in Haifa. I don't know if I would have survived if it hadn't been for the condo on the 18th floor of an apartment building on the beach of the Mediterranean Sea. It's been a difficult transition but at least I have a king size bed and balcony to make it a little bit easier. (Thanks to Sheer and her family for their generosity. This apartment is, without a doubt, going to be the nicest place I'll sleep for the next six months.)

Goodbye Lotan...
Hello Haifa!
-Katie

2 comments:

PorterDad said...

What an incredible ending to the first chapter of your adventures. Your enjoyment is infectious.

Lexi and Jenny said...

i love your blog! i love you! yay!