Sunday, November 4, 2007

Weekend Travels

Dude. I was in Egypt over the weekend. What the hell, right? Here's the deal. A bunch of us have been talking about going to Sinai (Egypt) for a while. We decided a few weeks ago that we were going to go this past weekend. Then, the equivalent of the Israeli Homeland Security Department released this scary thing saying that people shouldn't go to Sinai because someone's going to kidnap people and hold them hostage. So, I wasn't going to go and I was totally bummed because it was going to rock. But then, I went. It doesn't really make sense, but it did rock and I didn't get kidnapped so I'm thrilled I went (except for the mosquito bites all over my FACE).

We stayed with Ahab on Diana Beach. Ahab is Bedouin and his beach has been passed down through a few generations and now he's building mud houses there. One of the GA's (Amit) has a boyfriend who volunteers with Ahab so we decided to come down and help, too. It was fun to be useful and relax at the same time.

Here's the hut I slept in on the first night:

Here's the umbrella thing I slept under the second night
(the sun's coming up on the Red Sea, whoa):

Mud building:

Ohad and I are wearing orange:


Despite the previous week's difficulties, I managed to have a perfectly lovely time this weekend (so there, Andrew).
-Katie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahahahah. I was the one that left that other comment and forgot to put my name! Did you think it was Andrew? Well, I am glad that you had a better weekend even if you had to sleep in a hut. xo ariana

Anonymous said...

Good for you, I'm glad you guys decided to go anyway...wasn't it worth the journey? It must have been amazing, and you got to do some mud building!!! AWESOME

pheonix said...

dear katie,
once again i am taking care of pheonix. and missing you now at the same time. although we are interested in your adventures, we have to tell you, about our mundane world in seattle. tonight i used all my CSA vegetables and some smoked salmon to make THE going away dinner. although i felt like it tasted like ass, pheonix seemed to enjoy it and so did rob. i am very happy that you two are going to see each other soon. but i am more then slightly chagrined that i will not have pheonix to write about anymore.
xoxo,
jb and the boys
(*postscript: this was dictated to and typed by pheonix, because jennifer has drunk too much wine to be trusted with the computer)
(*pps: she may be drunk, but she cooked an entire meal, including using every organic fruit and vegetable from her CSA)
(*ppss: the pps was also dictacted to and typed by pheonix)
(*pppss from rob: hi katie. we miss you)

Katie Porter said...

ag- i totally thought it was andrew. it's just like him to brag.
sierra- it was an amazing time. thanks for the advice.
phx, jb, rob, etc- clearly you guys had an amazing dinner (you drunks). i hope you'll be able to cope with losing pheonix and then make us a coming home dinner with food from your CSA. what do you think?
-katie