Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Green Apprenticeship (GA) Education

Some of you have asked me about what I am learning in Israel. Here is a rough sketch of some of the topics we are discussing on Kibbutz Lotan.

-Natural Building: building structures (homes, benches, retaining walls, etc) out of mud, straw, tires, etc

-Permaculture: roughly defined as "the development of perennial agricultural systems that mimic the structure and interrelationships found in natural ecologies."

-Organic Gardening: growing plants without chemicals for soil, fertilizer, and pest control

-Healthy Living: including physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being (I know, I know, I'm ridiculous, but it's endearing, right? RIGHT?) consisting of Chi Kong stretching in the morning, Watzu lessons, among other topics. Here's the Watzu pool:

Those are the topics we've focused on thus far. I know we still have loads to learn. Oh! by the end of the program I will be a certified permaculture and ecovillage designer. Wow... So, if any of you have a garden, space, or ecovillage (bahahaha!) that you want help designing, just let me know.
-Katie

5 comments:

PorterDad said...

Whatzu? You mean what zu want to do ???Swim, relax,meditate? Whatever, whatzu sounds like fun.

Luv,

Dad

Jen Robinson said...

I love Watzu!!! My parents were going to train in that for awhile and I was so excited. I am glad you have a hammock.

pheonix said...

if you lay down and spoon your seedlings, does it make them grow better?

Ben said...

Porter! I just caught up and read the whole thing so far. I'm so glad for you. It looks like a great place to start. I look forward to keeping up with you this year.

By the way, Abe was recently pontificating on how much using a different consonant at the beginning of a laugh sound changes its meaning a little -- I'm enjoying you use of B for bahahaha.

Keep up the good work. Oh, and in my opinion you cannot really over-react to a SCORPION ON YOU. Cripes.

smith said...

The only way to succeed in law school and its unique Socratic method of teaching is to experience it – to invest countless hours with professors in a classroom environment.

legal education