Friday, September 21, 2007

A-tone-mint

Yom Kippur began tonight. I did not, as originally planned, go to Jerusalem to observe other people celebrating their beliefs. Instead I chose to stay on Lotan and attempt to observe Yom Kippur in my way:
I have had a wonderful year. My family, my friends, the people I love are (mostly) happy and healthy. I met an amazing person who I love and enjoy. I have a variety of freedoms and privileges that allow me to make positive choices in my life.
In other words, I have it very good – and I am thankful.
That being said, I believe I have an obligation to work for justice so that other people have the ability to create their own happiness, too. I do not get to take from the world without giving back. That is my responsibility – or so I’ve been told.

I am not going to take up too much time discussing my mistakes. But needless to say they are numerous and I hope to learn and grow from each one, well... at least the big ones.
I hope you all forgive me for my transgressions, intentional or unintentional. Certainly, I forgive you for yours.
May we all be inscribed in the book of life for this upcoming year (but only if you want to be...)
-Katie

The half-moon over Kibbutz Lotan:

(BAHAHAHAHA that is a hilarious picture of the moon! It looks so small! You'll have to trust me that the sky over Lotan is amazing and gives me reason to stop and pause. I guess relatively cheap point and shoot cameras don't always perform the way you'd like... Google image search "moon" and pretend those pictures are what I see every night. Now you get it, yeah?)

2 comments:

~Elise~ said...

Dear Katie,
What if your transgressions are my blessings? Because they totally are. Should I forgive you those?
Oy, a condundrum!
love,
House

Lexi and Jenny said...

I forgive you. The fishies eat up all your sins and now they are fat and happy.

I love your blog!