Saturday, September 8, 2007

Lotan - Week 1

Well, it hasn't even really been a full week here, but man it feels like we've been here for a month. In a good way, my days are really full and long. Here is a typical schedule for me:
6am - Chi Kong (stretching)
6:30am - First practical lesson (working in the garden, building buildings out of mud etc...)
8:30am - Breakfast (mostly salad stuff, it's really nice in the morning)
9:30am - Second practical lesson
11:00am - Classroom lesson (topics vary: the history of Lotan, learning about global issues, environmental topics etc)
1pm - Lunch
2pm - Second classroom lesson
4pm - Free time
6:30pm - Dinner
Evening - Activities vary: The pub (if it's open), singing together, a movie, free time, etc
These days are FULL. I have been asleep before 10pm almost every night I've been here.
Here are some more pictures of the things I've done in the first few days:

Desert Hike

I planted seeds into dirt I made!

Making a raised bed garden

New friends! (We used food scraps to make the raised beds - they STANK!)


OH! If any of you out there feel inspired to send me something, please do! Here's my address:
Katie Porter
Green Apprenticeship
Kibbutz Lotan
D.N. Hevel Eilot
88855 Israel
I hope to get into Eilat sometime soon to pick up postcards or regular mail stuff so I'll start writing mail soon.
-Katie

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Katie!
Girl, you are amazing! I will live vicariously through these postings.
Where are you going in India? I have a good friend who is a native of Calcutta, if you need any tips.

L'Shanah Tovah Tikatayvou.

Love,
Aunt Susan

katiesmom said...

Hi Katie! We couldn't help but laugh at the idea of you paying good money to do yardwork - you could have done it for free here!
Love you!

PorterDad said...

Hey Katie,

Wow,wait a minute..you went to Israel to do gardening and composting. Do I have an idea here for you in Lancaster!!

Sounds like there's so much going on at the Kibbutz. Are you able to smile with the early rising? I'm impressed!!!

Luv,
Dad