Sunday, March 16, 2008

Bariloche

I left Chile from Puerto Varas which was absolutely gorgeous:


Then I arrived in Bariloche, Argentina and it was also quite a sight:


I was lucky because outside my hostel a bunch of artists were working on murals:
It´s cool because they just asked the residents of the street if they could paint on the walls and everyone thought it was a cool idea. Hooray for art!

And while I´m at it, hooray for ice cream!


My hostel (¨Hostel 41 Below¨) is great. One of the women who works there taught a group of us about the traditional Argentinian mate ceremony. I have had mate in the states before, but I have been doing it all wrong. It is super strong the traditional style and way too intense for me:


After I was high on mate I went on a hike with two hostel friends. Kiko, Natasha, and I had a nice little hike in the outskirts of Bariloche:


Bariloche has been fun and productive. I got my laungry done which I´m sure you´ll trust was absolutely necessary. I ate some good, cheap steaks. Amazingly I am leaving already. Tomorrow I hop on the bus for 20 hours (!) to go to Buenos Aires. Maybe you have heard that BA is totally cool. I hope so because I´m going to be there for two weeks...
-Katie

3 comments:

Lexi and Jenny said...

I was trying to figure out what you meant by "I have had mate in the States before" for about 10 minutes. Then I realized you were talking about Yerba Mate (accent on the "e.") But the post is much funnier if you are talking about "traditional Argentinian mate ceremony" when mate has a silent "e."

Anonymous said...

haha, I have to agree with the previous post, but I did figure it out. Love hearing about your travels!

Love, Ryan

Persiana said...

they have that there grass fed beef in argentina...and i too though you were saying "mate" not "mah-tay." it was funny until i realized you were talking about hippie coffee. sista, please!